Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Geometry and pattern K5


Gretchen's lesson
Art and Maths Collide
5 and 6 year olds


I have been forgetful. I zoned out of 'school mode' and into 'day off mode' last night and forgot to post the days work.
Here it is. The children chose a geometric shape(circles were popular) and drew them using wax crayon onto A3 paper. They applied paint to each band of colour, taking care to choose colours that would work together. For example, blue over green my not offer enough contrast once etched.





There was down time as we waited for the paint to dry. A few took longer than others due to the thickness of the paint. 
Some of the boys had seen an example of the parabolic curve below, on the wall. They were keen to try it. I realise that they are very young but the process is simple and repetitive.
So I introduced it to the first group finished, and so on.  As you can see there are various levels of competency. I didn't expect to see such a great effort though. I asked the children to find patterns within their parabolic curves, regardless of the accuracy of their work. They added colour to emphasis the patterns they saw.






 Now, back to their patterned geometric shapes. They used both ends of kebab sticks to etch out repeating patterns through the paint. 









1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...