Monday, 27 July 2015

Song titles V5

 8 and 9 year olds.






I have been on a road trip for three weeks around the south western corner of USA. We rented a soft top mustang but when we took the top down in 93 degrees Fahrenheit heat,  we cooked. Air conditioning was the better option.

In the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, the education room had examples of children's prints which had their idea of song titles written. So this was the motivation for todays print making lesson.

The most difficult thing for the children to deal with was gluing down the letters in reverse. I asked them to show me before they applied the glue, but even then a few letters were messed up. I stepped back a bit when it came to the printing process. I demonstrated twice and supported those that looked confused. They rolled on the ink, refreshed the ink boards, put on the paper and rolled the back with a clean roller. It's a hard thing to step back when there is printing ink, heaps of kids and a small space. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gretchen- I visited Nashville recently too and was very inspired by the Hatch Print Shop, a very old and historic letterpress shop that is famous for its music posters. I hadn't thought about creating a lesson based on it until I saw your post, such a great idea. Like you, I will have a hard time stepping back! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...