Thursday, 5 June 2014

"If the Dinosaurs Came Back". K6

Year 1 &2.

Todays art is based on the picture book, "If the Dinosaurs Came Back" by Bernard Most.

I have some little plastic dinosaur toys. I put these out on the tables for the children to draw using 4B pencils. I encouraged detail.















They drew the dinosaur on a larger piece of paper with a black crayon. They cut this out. This was challenging as they included spikes and claws, but excellent cutting practice.



I showed the children a You Tube clip of a child reading the story, as I couldn't find it in the library.

They drew around the dinosaur on a coloured piece of card and cut that dinosaur out. More cutting practice.  They added black crayon details. We talked about shading and tried a bit of shading in appropriate places, using the crayons.

















I showed the children a picture book which had illustrations of large cities. We talked about what a city has in it. Then had a conversation about architects and the job they do. The children drew a city in black crayon, covering their A3 page. They took black biros and added details. Window cleaners, helicopters, satellite dishes etc.







3 comments:

  1. Such a great lesson for drawing and scale for the younger kids - I've had this book on my wish list for a while - thanks for reminding me to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I love this. Not just because Dinosaurs are awesome, but this project is just too cute! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. Great feedback. It's definitely a popular subject amongst the children.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...