Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Circus Animals V5













 .
9 and 10 year olds.

I was so delighted with todays art. The children didn't hesitate when I asked them to draw the animals and they added so much attitude to them.

We talked about contour drawing. One child talked about blind contour drawing she had done. I asked the children to draw a flower without taking their pencil off the page. They tried a few more subjects, fish, tree, cat etc.

I gave them Indian ink and kebab sticks, which they had used before. I gave them a tall piece of paper, 200mm x 420mm.
We talked about the circus. Then I asked them to do a line drawing of an elephant at the bottom. Stopping their continuous line only to refuel. When they had finished that animal, I told them the next animal to be drawn on his back and so on.
They added colour with coloured pencils, layering the colour to create new colour and fill in any gaps.


6 comments:

  1. These are fabulous! Did the kids have images of the animals go draw? Or was it directed drawing? They are just so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I love them. We didn't have photos. I simply said draw an elephant in the bottom quarter of the long page. When that was done, I told them to draw the giraffe standing on his back. And so on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What cool art work this is. Wish I could do half as well with a blank sheet of paper :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, my attempt would look very contrived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these Gretchen! They remind me of the Bremen Town Musicians. The sticks and ink give these pieces great line quality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mary. I enjoyed the element of surprise and I think they did too. They didn't know which animal was coming next.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...