Tuesday, 19 March 2013

feathers shells and leaves










9 and 10 year olds.

The children did observational drawings of either feathers, shells, or leaves. They then drew four more images of the same thing using a crayon. I asked the children to make them large, simple and to overlap the page. Once they had drawing they liked, they drew it on acetate with a marker.

The next part was experimental for all of us. I had planned to use chalk and water colour paint to create the soft blended backgrounds, but after trialling it before school, I found the image to be less than flash. So knowing how positive the class of children was, I gave them a general outline for the dye, water and cling film idea, and they did the experimenting. This idea is based on a lesson from http://rainbowskiesanddragonflies.blogspot.co.nz  They flew at it.

The acetate image was put onto the coloured background and they made a card frame to hold it together.

3 comments:

  1. Ooohh! Glad you gave the plastic wrap a try! My kids loved it! Like the idea of using shells and feathers for an observation drawing! I am now starting a drawing unit with all my classes and i am looking for ideas! I think i am going to go to my local craft store a pick up a bunch of shells! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I also use old keys and interesting seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOhhh!!! More great ideas! Thanks! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...