The children did observational drawings of either feathers, shells, or leaves. They then drew four more images of the same thing using a crayon. I asked the children to make them large, simple and to overlap the page. Once they had drawing they liked, they drew it on acetate with a marker.
The next part was experimental for all of us. I had planned to use chalk and water colour paint to create the soft blended backgrounds, but after trialling it before school, I found the image to be less than flash. So knowing how positive the class of children was, I gave them a general outline for the dye, water and cling film idea, and they did the experimenting. This idea is based on a lesson from http://rainbowskiesanddragonflies.blogspot.co.nz They flew at it.
The acetate image was put onto the coloured background and they made a card frame to hold it together.