Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Koru





By New Zealand artist, Sandy Adsett.








7 and 8 year olds.
The children shared their knowledge about the koru with one another. They were quick to mention the koru design on Air New Zealand planes. 
 The Maori Koru design is scroll/ spiral shaped and is derived from the frond of the New Zealand fern plant, the ponga.
'Koru' is the Maori word for the new unfurling fern frond. It symbolises new life, regeneration, growth, strength and peace.
For many this design is the symbol for renewal, hope for the future. 
They viewed and discussed the way Sandy Adsett had used the koru in his art. The children created their own koru design which they cut out of  A5 sized card. They were asked to keep them simple and large. 
They divided an A3 page into 4 parts. On each section, they copied around their koru design. Each time they chose whether to rotate, flip or slide the koru. 
The children chose a limited colour palette using oil pastels to colour their designs.

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen, these are fabulous, and you've taught me something new. I've never heard of the koru before, but I've been doodling all my life with the spiral as a core element. I love the positive symbolic meaning of the koru and the way it is interpreted in these works of art. I keep changing my mind about which one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phyl. NZ artists have done wonderful art based around this symbol.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...