Friday, 15 February 2013

Chalk portraits










7 and 8 year olds.
The positioning of features on a face were discussed and practiced. The children were asked to come up with guide lines for where features are positioned on a face. For example, the top of ears line up with eyes, eyes are one eye width apart, etc. Using the guidelines, they drew a portrait in pencil. Then a portrait was drawn using black wax crayon on black paper. The children had mirrors so they could personalize their portraits. They were encouraged to make these lines dark. The realistic colours were blended using regular black board chalks. The mirrors were helpful here too, to get the colouring right.The portraits were cut out and attached to a background.The background is a relief rubbing in a variety of colours.

4 comments:

  1. I love how these portraits come together - the chalk pastel on black and the textured background. Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary. I think the black paper is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had invented texture plates! My students love them as much as I do! A lovely lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beth. I went to buy more but couldn't find any. I'll keep looking as they have many uses.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...