Friday, 28 September 2012

matisse









Matisse collage
9 and 10 year olds.

This day was a bit crazy.  I had 28 children to teach and a room to vacate. I had to vacate the room I've had this year to make way for the new entrants, (5 year olds).
The art paraphernalia had to be put in other places, like a borrowed shelf here and a stolen corner there.
The lovely class of children worked so independently, allowing for the classroom transformation to occur around them.
We discussed the later work of Henri Matisse, after he had become weakened by cancer. The idea to cut out shapes without drawing them first was daunting for some. They had the opportunity to cut practice shapes out. They had to choose their own parameters such as curvy, sharp, etc. They chose their own colour combinations from what was there.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Gretchen!

    I really like your students Matisse projects. He is one of my favorite artists of all time. I particularly like the color choices they made. The compositions are striking. Nice work!

    :)Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat. I haven't used his work before in the classroom, but will explore him further for more lessons.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...