Tuesday, 7 August 2012

etching off centre


Etching
9 and 10 year olds.
The focus was cropping and enlarging the image. We tried to avoid the common central placement of a subject, in order to create a more interesting composition. I find this quite a hard concept to get across to children. Today I said that two sides of the subject were to flow off the page. The second concept, to enlarge the subject was also tricky. The children sketched their subject first on a practice page, then put a rectangle around the subject, where the edges of the page would be. This helped some, but others found transferring the subject onto their art paper to be too hard. They couldn't see the negative space in relation to the subject. 
The paper was prepared by putting layers of pastel down, each layer getting darker. Then using sticks, the image was etched into the pastel, exposing the slightest shades.



4 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I love the cropped compositions. I'm going to have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary. Today I tried a similar exercise with children 2-3 years younger with great results. Yes, worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, I especially like the non-centeredness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joe. If I did this again, I would get the kids to cut out the image and place it on a smaller page so it has to overflow.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...