Thursday, 7 June 2012

Don Binney

Painting and print making.
9 year old,s response to Don Binney's work.
After viewing and discussing several of Don Binney's paintings of NZ landscapes and native birds, the children made their own, in his style. They chalked up the page, choosing landscape lines etc. They mixed their own colours using primary colours and black and white acrylic paint. When it was dry, they added details, texture and highlights with oil pastels. 
The birds are cardboard relief prints. The children used native bird photos to help them design their blocks. They were printed then glued to a coloured piece of paper and cut out allowing a bit of the coloured paper to show.

7 comments:

  1. I love these - I will have to borrow the idea for a future lesson! (: Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We love your artwork. I have been looking for a Don Binney idea for my students and would like to use this.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please do. It's very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gretchen, I LOVE these! I had a look for a lesson plan on TPT but can't find one, do you have more details available? If you could let me know that would be fantastic!! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bronwyn.
      I could go into a big long ramble about the lesson, but it might be easier if you tell me what you need to know.
      This is a link to another Don Binney lesson. http://gretchenbuwalda.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/8-year-olds-response-to-don-binneys.html

      Delete
  5. Hi Gretchen, I just replied but it seems to have disappeared?! What I was wondering is how you got the children to make such detailed prints. Are they cardboard? They are really beautiful :-)

    Sorry if you get this twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I am replying using my phone as I am travelling in USA. They are cardboard relief prints. The children cut their bird out of card first and stuck extra shapes of card on to add detail. Then they drew firmly with pen, the feathers etc. They don't look much until they are rolled over with printing ink. Have fun.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...